HHF – Community Health Practice Research
Haitian Health Foundation is proud to have originated a number of research articles and presentations in professional and peer-reviewed journals and academic conferences. We are equally proud of our data collection and analysis, which is unmatched in our area and is supported by one of the most advanced information systems in the entire country of Haiti.
HHF has also partnered with a number of academic institutions throughout the world to produce seminal research in public health in underdeveloped countries.
Research published/presented by (or in collaboration with) HHF and its staff and volunteers include:
- Protein-energy malnutrition during early childhood and periodontal disease in the permanent dentition of Haitian adolescents aged 12-19 years: a retrospective cohort study. Russell SL, Psoter WJ, Jean-Charles G, Prophte S, Gebrian B. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2010 May;20(3):222-9.
- No family left behind: the example of community-based pneumonia care in Haiti. Lewis J, Gebrian B. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2009;20(4 Suppl):22-30.
- Maternal and congenital syphilis in rural Haiti. Lomotey CJ, Lewis J, Gebrian B, Bourdeau R, Dieckhaus K, Salazar JC. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2009 Sep;26(3):197-202.
- The impact of fathers’ clubs on child health in rural Haiti. Sloand E, Astone NM, Gebrian B. Am J Public Health. 2010 Feb;100(2):201-4. Epub 2009 Dec 17.
- Reliability of a sugar consumption questionnaire for rural Haiti. Psoter WJ, Gebrian B, Katz RV. P R Health Sci J. 2008 Mar;27(1):69-74.
- Effect of early childhood malnutrition on tooth eruption in Haitian adolescents. Psoter W, Gebrian B, Prophete S, Reid B, Katz R. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2008 Apr;36(2):179-89.
- Perceptions of pregnancy complications in Haiti. Anderson FW, Naik SI, Feresu SA, Gebrian B, Karki M, Harlow SD. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008 Feb;100(2):116-23.
- Effect of childhood malnutrition on salivary flow and pH. Psoter WJ, Spielman AL, Gebrian B, St Jean R, Katz RV. Arch Oral Biol. 2008 Mar;53(3):231-7. Epub 2007 Nov 5.
- The effect of an international embargo on malnutrition and childhood mortality in rural Haiti. Reid BC, Psoter WJ, Gebrian B, Wang MQ. Int J Health Serv. 2007;37(3):501-13.
- Maternal mortality and the consequences on infant and child survival in rural Haiti. Anderson FW, Morton SU, Naik S, Gebrian B. Matern Child Health J. 2007 Jul;11(4):395-401. Epub 2007 Jan 31.
- Fathers clubs to improve child health in rural Haiti. Sloand E, Gebrian B. Public Health Nurs. 2006 Jan-Feb;23(1):46-51.
- Evaluation of children with recurrent pneumonia diagnosed by World Health Organization criteria. Heffelfinger JD, Davis TE, Gebrian B, Bordeau R, Schwartz B, Dowell SF. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002 Feb;21(2):108-12.
- Cutaneous manifestations of anthrax in rural Haiti. Smego RA Jr, Gebrian B, Desmangels G. Clin Infect Dis. 1998 Jan;26(1):97-102.
- Donation of medicines to developing countries. Smego RA Jr, Gebrian B. Clin Infect Dis. 1994 May;18(5):847-8.
- The Haitian Health Foundation: a charitable outreach to neighbors in need. Lowney JJ Jr. J Conn State Dent Assoc. 1991 Winter;67(2):24-6.
- The Haitian Health Foundation (formerly the Haitian Dental Foundation)–a charitable outreach to neighbors in need. Lowney JJ Jr. J Conn State Dent Assoc. 1987 Jul;61(3):150-2.
In addition to the academic and professional publications, our staff and volunteers have presented (or have been accepted to present) a number of papers at professional conferences, including:
- KOMBIT: Mobilizing the Community for Safe Motherhood and Healthy Newborns. American Public Health Association, November 10, 2010.
- Improving Community-based Programs in Maternal Health. Dateline 2010: Global Health Goals & Metrics (Global Health Council), June 14, 2010.
- Strengthening the Household-Community-Facility Continuum in Provision of Care: Experiences from the Field. Invest In Women, It Pays (Women Deliver), June 8, 2010
- GenNext: Healthy Women Through Sports. American Public Health Association, November 9, 2009.